General Music

Come here to discuss everything from Yanni to Megadeth!

Favorite Type of Music

Country/Folk/Western
19%
Rap/hip hop
No votes
Rock/Classic Rock/Hard Rock
50%
Techno/Industrial
No votes
Heavy Metal/80's Metal
25%
Contemp. Christian
6%

Total votes: 16

Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

General Music

Post by Mike Nordin »

Just thought I would start this off.
What is your favorite kind of music?
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Although I like some of most of those choices I lean toward the Rock category.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

I like all of the above to a certain degree except for Techno/Industrial... I had to give my vote to 80's metal though. That is just a timeless era and great classic music that will last forever for us that grew up in that era and liked that kind of music.
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Laurie Roberts
For Such A Time As This...

Post by Laurie Roberts »

Nice topic and poll. I hate to be a pain, but I'm going to have to choose a different category. I'm probably most drawn to R & B, although many other categories influence me, as well. I'm not much into techno, I prefer 70s rock to 80s, I can only take so much country (I suppose it's the western/folk I really don't care for), and rap/hip hop isn't really my thing. Dang, that's starting to sound like I don't like anything. I like good songs. How's that for specific? I suppose most people would say my own songs are contemporary Christian praise, and mostly they are, but I'm not sure that really describes their flavor. I'm rambling. I'll stop.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

No, that's a good ramble. I knew I would forget some categories, but I had to start somewhere.
Laurie Roberts
For Such A Time As This...

Post by Laurie Roberts »

Mike--seriously, good work with the categories, much better than I could have done. I hated to be one of those people comes along and says "you left out punk" or "ska" or "classical." I'm glad you liked the ramble, though.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I missed the music discussions of the KHS I. I glad you mentioned Punk. I have always loved Punk music. It's roots are in R&B, it's sharp, it's intelligent (not always, thats what makes it smart sometimes), it can be fun, it can be thought provoking, and lastly almost all rock based music from the mid 70's on is touched by it. Now how's that for rambling. 8)
I have a lot of punk favorites but I think one of my favorites is Loui Armstrongs "It's a wonderful world" done by the Joey Ramone and the Ramones. It was the last song he recorded before he died. He had cancer and knew he was going to die and I like to think he was telling his fans it was o.k.
Matt Morgan

Post by Matt Morgan »

I voted for Hard Rock, as I sit here listening to Waylon Jennings' greatest hits. I like a lot of different music, but Rock rules.
"Face Your Fear, Accept Your War!"-Z.W.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

I had to vote for Rock, that is my favorite, i can listen to country and definitely 80 Rock, i agree with Casey
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Matt Morgan

Post by Matt Morgan »

I watched Nickelback on Thursday. They were pretty good. Anyone else go? If you did, could you believe it when they busted into some Pantera! That was cool. :lol:
"Face Your Fear, Accept Your War!"-Z.W.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

I didn't get a chance to go Matt, but I heard they totally rocked... I didn't hear about the Pantera. That is cool that they played that.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Matt,

My wife and i got tickets to go to Nickleback for a wedding gift back in august. They did the same thing then with the Pantera, it was Awesome. Who opened for them??? We had hinder, Chevelle, and Three Days Grace, who will be the next great band in my opinion, they put on a great show. Nickleback rocked for us, we saw that concert in the Coors Ampitheater in Denver, small but loud. Im not a huge fan of Nickleback, but i was impressed with their concert.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I know we have this recurring conversation about the greatest rock band, but I have to say AC/DC has to be up there. My Dad and I just watched a DVD of the band and they flat out ROCK! I love a lot of bands, but for sure AC/DC is in the top 10.
Angus Young...what a stud!!!
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Mike Nordin wrote:I know we have this recurring conversation about the greatest rock band, but I have to say AC/DC has to be up there. My Dad and I just watched a DVD of the band and they flat out ROCK! I love a lot of bands, but for sure AC/DC is in the top 10.
Angus Young...what a stud!!!
I agree with you PLU. I think that AC/DC is the best rock band of all-time. A lot of my friends disagree with me and say that it is Led Zeppelin. I just think that when Brian Johnson took over as lead singer and they came out with the "Back in Black" album, they have been invincible ever since.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I like early AC/DC a little better. Dirtier and more raw. However the energy of Johnson is awesome too.
I've never been a real big Zep fan. Don't get me wrong, I do like some of their stuff but I just never got into the mid-evil stuff Page was into. I actually liked Plant's post Zep stuff better.
Lately I've been listening to Pink Floyd, the Cars, U2, and the Matrix Soundtrack.
Oh, and All American Rejects. My daughters love'em, and I'm getting to like them too.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

PLU, I just recently got U2 and The Cars Greatest Hits albums. They are both great bands... I also like the All-American Rejects as well. Also, as nerdy as it sounds I am a huge American Idol fan. Chris Daughtry from last season was the man. His band Daughtry's debut cd is really good and I listen to it frequently.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Ya, I checked out his video and it was pretty good. I usually wait awhile before downloading music. I like to wait so I have a pretty large list of wants and then pay the 10. bucks to download a ton, instead of paying the 10 buck monthly for only a couple of songs per month.
Jen Derbyshire

Post by Jen Derbyshire »

I downloaded all of Chris Daughtry's stuff too. Its pretty good...but I am totally a country girl at heart. I do have to admit to having an iPod playlist dedicated to hair bands, however!

Glad to see another American Idol fan hanging around. What in the world is going on with Sanjaya? My husband and I were talking about this tonight...I wonder if FOX is behind Votefortheworst.com. They've got 1/2 the country watching and voting because they love the show. And then there is a huge group of people watching and voting because they want to make a mockery of it? With that many people watching, its a win win for FOX. That makes sense, sort of, right?
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Here's the downlow on Sanjaya. Howard Stern, shock jock, is telling all his listeners to vote for him because he is the worst singer. Each week he enlists more voters. In fact if you noticed he wasn't even in the bottom three.
I don't think he can win, but he will be around for awhile.
Simon Cowl said that if he does win the competition he is going to can the show because the show will have been corrupted.
I do watch the show but have never bought a single album from any past singer. However I will download Chris D. new song on my next binge.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

I am also very happy to see some Idol fans on here. I love the show as well. You two are both right on with Sanjaya. I frequently visit votefortheworst.com just to see the things that people say about him etc. It is sad that so many people do that to keep him in the competition. Then Howard is even adding to the fire... I've heard that they were thinking about changing the voting this season to where America voted off the worst each week. This way the worst would get elimintated pretty much every week. However, they backed away from doing this as votefortheworst would probably just change to votethebestoff.com, which would be a total shame if they got enough people to vote the best off each week... I think Sanjaya will get booted in the next few weeks. Antonella and Sundance were both the votefortheworst.com picks earlier in the season and they both didn't have enough votes to move on... I won't be upset unless it comes to where Melinda, LaKisha, Jordin, or Blake (my final 4 prediction) get voted off and that little weasel is still there. If he makes it that far, America will be in an uproar!!!

P.S. I'm glad you have the hair band ipod playlist Jen.