Best Cover Song

Come here to discuss everything from Yanni to Megadeth!
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Best Cover Song

Post by Jason Spoor »

As I sit here listening to Krokus sing "American Woman" I have to wonder how many times this song was covered and by who - I know Lenny Kravitz sang it but i'm sure he's not the original.

My question is - what do you think is the best and worse cover song out there?

I'm very limited on musical knowledge but i'll give my favorites. I simply don't know what "new" songs are actualy cover songs.

okay - my top 3 (because I just don't know many) are as follows:

#3 - Turn the Page - Metallica - originally sang by Bob Seger I think
#2 - Smoking In The Boys Room - Motley Crue - originally sang by Brownsville Station
#1 - Last Kiss - Pearl Jam - originally sang by Wayne Cochran & the C.C. Riders

I would love to get this thread going for the simple fact I don't know what songs are actually covers.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

I'll have to get my thinking cap on Roops. One that comes to mind as among the worst cover songs of all-time is Britney Spears - "I Love Rock n' Roll". A Joan Jett cover.
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I don't know about it being the best cover ever, but "all along the watchtower" by Bob Dylan might be one of the most used. I know that Jimmy Hendrix, U2, and now Prince have used it. I like U2's version the best out of them all. It's on their Rattle and Hum album. One of the darkest, kind of creepy cool covers I've heard is "these dreams" by Eurymics (sp) done by Marilyn Manson.

Worst... Clay Aiken doing "Teen Spirit"...just joking, but it would be funny.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Doug Knox

Post by Doug Knox »

The one that is freshest in my memory is from Disturbed's latest cd...they do a cover of Genesis' "Land of Confusion". I am a big fan of both bands so this is a great song, in my opinion. I also am a big fan of Fuel's versions of both Elton John's "Daniel" and Zepplin's "Goin' to California...which I got off of one of their Australian import cd's.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

A couple of my favorites:

"Knockin' on Heaven's Door" Bob Dylan... Covered by W. Axl Rose and Guns N' Roses

"Live and Let Die" Paul McCartney & Wings... Covered by W. Axl Rose and Guns N' Roses
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I messed up. It's not "these dreams" its "sweet dreams are made of these"
Hey knox can you post a place to listen to your suggested tunes. I haven't heard them and I would like to. I like those bands and I like those songs. It should be good.
Great picks sib. I know you are a G-n-R man all the way.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

Simon Miller wrote:"Live and Let Die" Paul McCartney & Wings... Covered by W. Axl Rose and Guns N' Roses

I didn't even realize this was a cover song - I know it's one of my favorite GNR songs though.

Excellent additions coach.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Ya, it was a James Bond song.
Matt Morgan

Post by Matt Morgan »

I like Panteras cover of Terrible Teds Cat Scratch Fever.
"Face Your Fear, Accept Your War!"-Z.W.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Good call Matt... Another one I thought of that I like is Alien Ant Farm's cover of Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal".
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Laurie Roberts
For Such A Time As This...

Post by Laurie Roberts »

Jessica Simpson singing "You Take my Breath Away."

Kidding. I'm embarrassed that I even know that one.
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

lol, Laurie

I did mean for this thread to be the best and the worst.... that could be our first worst submit.

staying on the Jessica covers, I really didn't like her cover of "These Boots Are Made For Walking". I think Fox should come up with a new reality series "When Good Songs Go Bad" and Jessica Simpson could be the host.
Laurie Roberts
For Such A Time As This...

Post by Laurie Roberts »

I'm glad I could evoke some laughter! I thought about leaving off my comment, and then seeing if anyone would mock my choice! Here's a serious one, although, frankly, I used to this was a very cheesy song, so I wouldn't mind being mocked for this one:

I like Aretha Franklin's cover of Carol Kings' "Natural Woman," though I am more of Carol King fan than an Aretha Fan.

Another worst cover is Celine Dion's "All By Myself." Now, that is a really cheesy song, no matter who sings it, but Celine is so over the top that it makes the original sound pretty good.
Doug Knox

Post by Doug Knox »

New Found Glory has a CD of some movie songs (mostly from the '80s) and has punked them up - they are pretty good:
NeverEnding Story
Goonies (Good Enough)
Glory of Love
Everything I Do...I Do It For You
My Heart Will Go On
That Thing You Do
I Don't Want To Miss A Thing

GodHead has a cover of the Beatles' Eleanor Rigby that is really good as well.

Nords - haven't forgotten about you, I am working on a way to get the songs to you so you can listen to them.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

How about Cats in the Cradle, by Cats Stevens, remake by Ugly Kid Joe, great song
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Jason Spoor
They Call Me Roops

Post by Jason Spoor »

That's a great addition Ken. I really like UKJ's version.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

I love UKJ's version also Jason. They put a much needed Heavy Rock zing to it.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious. -- Charles Shackleford
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Here is another, Brick in the Wall originally played by Pink Floyd, remake done by KORN, both versions really good!
Doug Knox

Post by Doug Knox »

Their cover of Word Up! was very good as well.
Ken Lagerquist

Post by Ken Lagerquist »

Very true Doug, great song. By the way, long time no talk, how the hell are ya?? You see Brad much?? Tell him i said hi when you see him. and tell him to email me!! haha