Welcome...

25+ years and going strong...
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Welcome...

Post by Gwen Johnson »

2007!
It's the silver anniversary of our departure from good ol' KHS (and the golden anniversary of the current building).
Feel free to post memories, ideas...whatever!
:)
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Laurie Roberts
For Such A Time As This...

Post by Laurie Roberts »

Hello Gwen--and all the other class of '82ers. Hopefully it won't be just the two of us for long.

When I returned to school after my Christmas break (which I still call it, as I am mired in political incorrectness), I welcomed my seniors to 2007, the year of their graduation. And as I was saying those words, it struck me that it's been 25 years since our graduation. I know we'd talked about it before here, but looking at those fresh-faced 18-year-olds really brought it home to me. I then shared with them that my high graduation gift from my parents was a top of the line electric typewriter, which I used to type every paper of my undergraduate college career. Now THAT makes me feel old. My students were suitably amused at the notion.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

That is a great story Laurie. Our society has come quite a ways since the electric typewriter days...
"Failing to Prepare is preparing to fail." ~ John Wooden
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

LR,

I have been doing a lot of that "looking back" lately too, more specifically in the "Golf Coach" area. It seems like yesterday we were shuttling the girls in the district minivan to Stoneridge for the State Tournament. Time surely flies.
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Laurie Roberts

Post by Laurie Roberts »

Coach--indeed it was just yesterday, wasn't it? My favorite golf shuttling story (before the days when the district mandated we only travel by bus) comes from a trip I took to Stoneridge with four female golfers in my little 1994 Honda Civic. I'll leave out the names, although the young lady who is the subject probably wouldn't mind.

We were traveling back over the pass, on the way home from the day-long tournament, when a car cut me off near the top of the pass. In my typical non-swearing way, I said something like "gosh!" Immediately, one young lady said, "don't worry, Coach Roberts, I flipped them off for you!" Boy was I glad we were in an unmarked car!
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Having a senior in my house this year brought a lot of different perspectives to our Christmas/New Years celebrations. As we were making plans for the holidays, it suddenly struck me that this was the last Christmas I was guaranteed to have both of my kids at home. It was a sobering thought. Then my son turned 18 three days after Christmas and that brought it's own set of melancholy moments. Finally, on one of the first days back after New Years, one of his classmates announced to me that graduation was exactly 5 months from that date. It's funny how you feel it all again, but with a twist when your kid goes through all that senior stuff (filling out financial aid forms, college applications, scholarship applications, purchasing graducation paraphenalia,etc.) ;)
With basketball (to be followed by baseball) and all of the other fund-raising, senior parent activities, these next few months will just fly by.
Oh...and I have a sophomore daughter who is doing her best to occupy those few moments that her brother doesn't. ;)
Sometimes 25 years feels like just a moment...and others it seems like eons.
A person is smart; people are dumb panicky dangerous animals and you know it. ~Kay (Men in Black, 1997)
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Great stories LR and Gwen. Except I am getting slightly depressed reading about how fleeting time is :cry:
Laurie Roberts

Post by Laurie Roberts »

Some other evidence time's fleeting nature (and my advancing age)

--my niece is expecting her third child

--I'll start my 20th year of teaching this fall

--my oldest former students have high school age children

--I need bifocals

--I've known Gwen for thirty-two years (what a stellar sixth grade student she was)

--I remember when Casey Brooks Fisher was born

--I remember seeing Coach Miller at KHS bball games when he was in elementary school
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

--I've known Gwen for thirty-two years
OMG, when you say it like that, we sound ancient. ;)
You were a pretty stellar student yourself. :)
Did I tell you I found all my grade school class pictures? I scanned them so I would have them electronically. Would you like me to send you that sixth grade pic?
Oooh...maybe I should post it here. That should generate some interest. ;)
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

You should post it here Gwen!!!

Laurie, you must be old if you can remember when I was born... j/k. I remember when you were my 9th Grade English teacher and you turned 29 years old in February that year. You seemed like such a mature, grown up teacher. Well, I just turned 29 and I still feel like a big, kid in my early 20's. The time sure does fly by...
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Ask and you shall receive. ;)
Here it is...our 6th grade class in all it's glory:

Grade 6:
Row 1: Mrs. Engle, Danny Sanders, Heidi Jennings, Kurt Sellner, Mashell Delcomte
Row 2: Mike McNamee, Dana Quimby, Mike Peterson, Bob Case, Jeff Bohannan, Justin Bishop, Bob Curtis, Nancy Aamodt
Row 3: Shannon Elfsten, Randy Wegner, David Rinaldi, Ben Boston
Row 4: David Sperry, Moi, Robert Jinks, Shari Stoner
Row 5: Debby Butler, Greg McCorkle, Laurie Roberts, Brett Crall, Teresa Mason, John Lindbo, Susan Damiano, Scott Flanary (deceased)
Last edited by Gwen Johnson on Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

That is flat out AWESOME.
Laurie Roberts

Post by Laurie Roberts »

Wow, I get busy for an hour giving a final and you guys go and post my sixth grade picture! Now you know why kids came up to me on the playground to ask if I was a boy a girl!

Casey--I still feel like a yougin' most of the time, even when my arthritis flares up!
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Yeah, I got that boy or girl thing a lot back then too. Perhaps that's why I've mostly kept my hair long since then? ;)
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Gwen, it was nice to meet you when I was up there. It's nice to put a face to the name. I can't believe you and simon work in mr. williamson's room. The whole year I was in there I did nothing. Joe Johnson and I drew pictures and showed them to each other the whole year while we were supposed to be taking notes.

Sorry to use your years spot.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Gwen Johnson
#1 Wildcat Fan

Post by Gwen Johnson »

Mike
It was nice to meet you too. :)
When I was at KJHS, I think that room belonged to Mr. Riendeau. He was a hip, cool English teacher who didn't hang around Kellogg too long. His brother is a dentist in Lewiston. Mr. Williamson occupied the room to the west of our office. I took classes from both of them. Of course, back then, the walls in the center classrooms didn't go all the way to the ceiling and they didn't have doors.

It's too bad you can't get Matt to join up here.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Ya, he would probably enjoy it too.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Laurie Roberts

Post by Laurie Roberts »

Just a quick, shameless plug. I'll start recording my second CD in Portland two weeks from today. I am a bit nervous about moving up in the recording world (paying a studio drummer $500/day, working with one of Cheryl Crow's favorite engineers--yikes!), but it should be a cool ride. I'll keep ya'll posted on the adventure.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

That is great news Laurie. Good luck to you and congratulations!!!
Dana McKeeth (Quimby)

OMG! the 6th grade Photo...

Post by Dana McKeeth (Quimby) »

Hello Gwen and Laurie, and any one else from our class or that I know for that matter.

I stumbled accross this site, and glad I did how neat it is.
I got to say though Gwen What a shock it was to see that photo Posted.. and What memories it brings back, and amazing how clear they are after sooooooooo many years. Speaking of Shor hair Helloooooo.. Looks like all but 3 of us girls had very short hair. Like you however Mine has been Long ever since :-)

How well I can relate to the Kids In High school Gwen, I too have been there my son is a freshman, and my daughter just stated college! I am now a grandma my to boot (she is now 7mo. old) but what a pure joy she is.

Laurie: Congradulations to you! I will watch for you album (unless it is out now?) then I can grab one, also sure my daughter will enjoy it.
Dana McKeeth (Quimby)