Greatest Rock lead on strings...

Come here to discuss everything from Yanni to Megadeth!
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Greatest Rock lead on strings...

Post by Mike Nordin »

1. Jimi Hendrix-Jimi Hendrix experience
2. Eddie Van Halen-VH (some would put him lower but I don't care)
3. Eric Clapton-
4. Jimmy Page-Zep
5. Jeff Beck-
6. Stevie Ray Vaughn-
7. David Gilmour-Pink Floyd (probably the best on slide guitar)
8. Randy Rhoads-Quiet Riot, Ozzy
9. Carlos Santana-
10. Mark Knopfler-
11. (because this one goes to 11, you know one more than 10...Spinal Tap reference) Joe Satriani
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Nice lists you compiled today Nords... I have to say that I think Eddie Van Halen is the greatest electric guitar player of all-time, even better than Hendrix. If you want proof, take a trip through memory lane and listen to Michael Jackson's "Beat It", as Eddie was on guitar for this song, and you will hear Eddie just flat tear it up in the guitar solo. Unbelievable!!!
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

3 points (around the horn reference) to Fisherrock for the Michael Jackson reference!
"Play Like A Champion Today"
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

LOL, ditto on the MJ reference. I forgot about that. For me it's a toss up. Without Jimi the envelop might not have been pushed as far, but Eddie did teach himself with that over the top fingering.
"It's good to have an open mind, but not so much as to have your brains fall out."
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Simon Miller wrote:3 points (around the horn reference) to Fisherrock for the Michael Jackson reference!
LOL Golf Coach... That is a funny show.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

I don't know who I would remove from the top 10, but I wanted to reference one of my favs who is top 10 worthy, ~ Slash from Guns n' Roses.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

"beep, beep, beep" 3 more points for the Slash reference.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Once again, I knew some substitutions would be made. I love Slash, and I am glad he is with an active band, Velvet Revolver, but I thought over all Mark Knopfler was a better picker. Everyone has their sentimental favorites and yes Slash is more than just a sentimental favorite.
Mike Dye

Post by Mike Dye »

Well I would have to compile for my own taste a different list with a few similar personnel on it....

(1) Eddie VanHalen
(2) Randy Rhoads
(3) Eric Clapton
(4) Ace Frehley- doesn't get the credit he deserves
(5) Joe Satriani
(6) Jimi Hendrix
(7) Dimebag Darrell - RIP
(8) Jimmy Page
(9) Brian May
(10) George Lynch - great live especially

Thought I'd just share my thoughts with you all.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

I understand why they are not, but I sure wish Hank, Rob, and Roops were in on this. At least we have Dawn and Gentry to carry their torches.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Mike Dye was rocker too, and what about Ken?
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Another name not mentioned who is one of my personal favs is Angus Young ~ AC/DC. That dude flat gets after it and is a sweat pit at the end of their concerts. He has never-ending energy for a 105 pounder.
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

O.K., I should be slapped for that one! I should know better. But, where do you put him on the list, and who do you take off.
Casey Fisher
Ph. D. Kellogg Studies

Post by Casey Fisher »

Mike Nordin wrote:O.K., I should be slapped for that one! I should know better. But, where do you put him on the list, and who do you take off.
No biggie plu... That is the hard part about good lists. You can always say "so and so needs to be on the list", but sometimes there is nobody to remove as they are all so good.
Mike Dye

Post by Mike Dye »

Yeah I forgot about Angus too man, don't feel so bad Mike. It's hard to remember everyone....
Hank Rauenhorst

Post by Hank Rauenhorst »

Mike, thanks for mentioning George Lynch. At least someone here has an ear for music. He is right with Vaughn and Hendrix. Nobody mentioned Warren DeMartini or Billy Gibbons. Billy Gibbons was Jimi Hendrix's FAVORITE guitarist. That says something. But I have a soft spot for one man.....
Simon Miller wrote:Quite possibly one of the sweetest posts I have seen on the internet since Al Gore invented it.
------ JCS 7-7-7
Mike Nordin
KHS's Original Lost Boy

Post by Mike Nordin »

Hank, you truely are HARD CORE! No fine line with you. I guess someone has to tow the line! 8)
Gentry Woolman

Post by Gentry Woolman »

Nice call, Hank, on Ozzy's Zakk Wylde. Truely a great guitarist. I have to agree with Mike Nordin, you are a true rocker. I'd have never known that from the classes I shared with you in high school. I've gained a whole new respect for you Mr. Rauenhorst. I bow to a true fan of great Hard Rock!!
Class of '89
Matt Morgan

Post by Matt Morgan »

I'll weigh in on this one. Dime Bag really should be mentioned. He was truly a cowboy from hell. I watched his band open up for Skid Row in the old Convention Center, I am positive Sebastian Bach probably pee pee'd his pants when he saw Pantera tear up the stage before he went on. It was sweeeeet. :oops:
"Face Your Fear, Accept Your War!"-Z.W.
Simon Miller
Closet Drummer

Post by Simon Miller »

Gentry Woolman wrote:Nice call, Hank, on Ozzy's Zakk Wylde. Truely a great guitarist. I have to agree with Mike Nordin, you are a true rocker. I'd have never known that from the classes I shared with you in high school. I've gained a whole new respect for you Mr. Rauenhorst. I bow to a true fan of great Hard Rock!!
Hank = Rock Guru